During the year 1853, Winstead Davie, who owned most of the land which is now the site of the City of Anna and Col. Lewis W. Ashley, Division Engineer, who had come into possession of a portion of the same tract, determined to lay out a town at this point. The proper surveys were made by Francis H. Brown, the County Surveyor, and lots were laid out on both sides of Main Street and the railroad. Mr. Davie decided to name the town in honor of his beloved wife Anna and under this name the plat was entered upon the county records on March 3, 1854.
The city of Anna has ever been justly proud of her public schools. The first schoolhouse, built in 1854, on the corner of Franklin and Monroe Street, was destroyed by fire. The city then built the frame schoolhouse on Lot 28, donated by Winstead Davie, and adjoining the fair grounds around 1860. In this building, the youth of the city were educated, from 1860 to 1870, under the instruction of Mr. Young, Mr. Congor, William Cochran, E. Babcock, J. M. Brisbin, John Green, C. L. Brooks, H. Andrews, A. Inman, W. H. Hubbell and J. H. Sanborn. In 1869 the city felt the need for a new building and larger accommodations. The district directors C. W. Wilcox, Cyrus Shick and L. P. Wilcox, issued bonds as needed, an elegant three-story brick edifice on Lot 23 in the northwestern part of town, was built at a total cost of $22,500 including furniture.
On Wednesday, January 5, 1870, the children were moved from the small frame building before mentioned, where the total enrollment was 126 pupils, to the new house, where the number was increased to 237 pupils, with J. H. Sanborn as Principal in charge.
(above left) 1952 Davie School- 5th Grade - Photo submitted by : Barbara Walton Throgmortin
(above right) 1949 Davie School - 1st Grade - Photo submitted by: Joyce Fear Bell
This 1910 building served as a public school until it was closed in 1996 and sat empty until it was bought by Gary and Andrea Dahmer (present owners) in 2002. The Dahmer's have spent many hours in a combination of restoring and remodeling to created an Inn with all the modern conveniences yet still leave the atmosphere of the old school house. Each room still has an original chalk board and book case. The original hardwood floors still show where the student desks left their marks. Each room also has a whirlpool tub and air conditioning, not something you would find in a grade school class room.